Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's Becoming On You!

be·come [bi-kuhm]
verb, be·came, be·come, be·com·ing.

1. to come, change, or grow to be (as specified): She became contented.
2. to come into being.
3. to be attractive on; befit in appearance; look well on: That gown becomes you.
4. to be suitable or necessary to the dignity, situation, or responsibility of: conduct that becomes an officer.
5. to become of, to happen to; be the fate of: What will become of her?


When I think about "BECOMING" I imagine a door. It's not just any door. Its simple yet ornate structure welcomes me. I am in awe. It is inviting me to pass through into its chamber. The entry way seems long but I think I am ready. I have stood here at a distance many times before today just contemplating going in this way. I really do want to go. My internal struggle begging the question "What keeps getting in my way?"

I like what I see from the outside. I wonder what is waiting for me inside? What is this anticipation I feel in my soul? I'm getting excited. I'm getting closer to becoming what I really want. Have others come this way before me? Can they help me on this path of becoming? Is there some magic incantation I must recite? "Open Sesame!" No, silly, that's not the way doors open in real life. There must be a key to unlocking this door. I will find it!

We are always in the process of BECOMING! As a Less Drama life coach I believe it's important to be intentional about who and what we want to become.

Have you taken the time in this New Year to think about what it is that you want to become? Which door will you open? Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3?

Here are 5 simple steps to finding the key
that unlocks the door:


1. Explore, discover & clarify what you really want to BECOME! Take the time to be still, to reflect and to ask yourself the question - What do I really, really, really want to BECOME next? You are worth your time. Make an appointment with yourself this coming week to wonder, dream and contemplate.

2. Believe you can BECOME it!
What negative self-talk is getting in your way from you BECOMING what you want? The truth is you can become it. You are creative, resourceful and whole. Believe it!

3. Develop and implement your "BECOMING" action plan!
Map out the route that will help get you where you want to be! Make a realistic timeline for "arrival". Remember to take small steps. Don't get discouraged by the roadblocks - find the detour and get there!

4. Make sure to have accountability!
Tell someone you trust (your partner, your bff, or your life coach) about your BECOMING. Ask them to help hold you accountable to walking through with your plan.

5. Celebrate your BECOMING!