Monday, February 1, 2010

The world is all gates, all opportunities, strings of tension waiting to be struck. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some days when I sit down to write one of these Truth or Dares nothing comes. Like I've told you before, I keep my Truth or Dare radar up throughout the week. My radar has been up and running but nothing has made it go - ding, ding, ding. There were some definite maybes but nothing materialized. I hope my radar's not broken. I was even to suppose to write this on Friday but decided to wait until today hoping that something would show up. Nothing. Here I sit. Waiting.

I even searched through my book files hoping one of the pieces that's waiting to be finished would say, "Pick me. Pick me!" I'm still waiting.

Well, why don't I write on that subject? That's something I should have a PhD in by now. I've even read books on the subject. I'm not talking about the every day kind-of-waiting like waiting in line or waiting for a table at your favorite restaurant. I'm talking about the LONGing-kind-of-waiting (emphasis on long). In my 30's, I would have told you that I was the queen of waiting. Waiting for my husband - Hello! Where is he already? When I was 29 and still not married, my grandmother would tell me that I had always wanted to be married and have lots of kids ;) She'd tell me regularly, "Cindy, it's just the way God made you. Those desires have been strong in your heart from the very beginning. I remember when you were a little girl you would tell me all about it." I even have written proof. I have this book - it's a Dr. Suess book - it's called The Book About Me that I colored when I was in first grade. I believe way back then when I knew who I was and what I was supposed to do (first graders are like that) - you know, the way God made me - I wrote that I wanted to be a mother, teacher and artist when I grew up. I waited until a week before I turned 42 to get married. On this side of marriage, I can say it was definitely worth the wait. Right, Bradford?

Well, I've been a teacher all my life (my classroom is not very traditional) and I get to use my creativity daily - so NOW, I'm just waiting for our kids to arrive on the scene.

Like many of you, who have done your own share of waiting, there are some days I wait with a good dose of hope, faith and thrilled expectancy. Other waiting days are not so good. We won't discuss those days in detail - let's just say, "It's not pretty." On those days when my faith lives in shallow end of the pool and my hope goes behind the clouds, it's really hard to wait.

Are you waiting for something? I happen to know personally from a few of you, that you are indeed champions of the waiting game. You are waiting right now. Some of you are waiting on jobs to come your way, and some of you are waiting on retirement. Some of you are waiting to be married and some of you are waiting on the kids to leave the nest. Did you notice that I called you champions? I call you champions because you have not yet given up. You have persevered. You have kept the faith even when your hope seemed to dip behind the clouds (why must it do that?).

Please know that I don't speak about this "waiting" thing lightly. I know it my heart of hearts how hard it can be. For those of you who are waiting, I hope you'll find some comfort in the fact that you are not alone. I've learned a few insights about waiting in my 44 years that I'd love to share with you today:

1) Waiting is something we all do at some point along our journey.
2) We are not alone in our waiting, REALLY there are others.
3) Waiting for us is different than anyone else who has ever waited (even if they waited/are waiting for the same thing).
4) In waiting, there are good days and there are bad days.
5) It's good to have a close friend (maybe even 2 close friends, in case of voicemail) to call upon when the waiting gets tough.
6) While waiting, it's good to focus on what we have instead of focusing on what we don't have.
7) For some perspective, it helps to ask what will the need/desire meet when it finally arrives? Then, ask yourself how is that need/desire being met with what I already have right now? Is there a way to meet it with what I have now? Unfortunately, sometimes the answer is no. But sometimes, most times, there is a yes to that question, if you think creatively.
8) When the waiting seems overwhelming, sleep helps.
9) Hugs help waiting souls.
10) How we wait is important to our character building - waiting can make us stronger, more compassionate and wise.

Well, I could talk about this subject for hours but I bet you are waiting for this post to be done.

I dare you to share your waiting with a trusted friend this week. Ask them to be on your team in your waiting game. May we all stand strong together as we wait!

Waiting well today,
Cindy

P.S. My Truth or Dare radar wasn't broken, I just had to wait ;)