Wednesday, March 17, 2010

a simple moment of truth


Last Thursday I learned two valuable life lessons:  One about business and the other about simple moments that bring truth.
 
I had just sat through a 5-hour lecture with what became my worst migraine ever -  that was not fun to say the least!   I was walking from class to my big ol' country girl truck when I was stopped in my tracks. 
 
This gentle man with cerebral palsy in a motorized wheelchair rolled by me and then unexpectedly turned backed towards me.  I'm not sure how he elicited my attention but he signaled me over to him.  I think I was wondering if he needed my help.  He spoke in the most tender and kind 1-inch voice I have ever heard, "What's your name?"  I can still "feel" the gentleness of his voice.  Pause.   Deep Sigh.  I said, "Cindy, what's yours?"   His name was Milo.  It's what he said next that has stayed with me.  He said in a whisper that was seemingly meant for my soul (so soft and slow that I had to lean in real close to hear),  "You caught my eye.  You are beau-ti-ful.  You. Make. My. Heart. Go. Pit.ter.pat."  No pretense.  No cat call.  No hubris.  It was simply pure and genuine from the heart.   I must add here that this does not happen to me every day.  I know that my family and friends find me pretty (most days) but complete strangers do not usually stop me with such utterances. 
 
Whoa.  This sent me reeling.  As I walked away, I was awestruck.  It was as if I had been turned upside down and inside out.  As my thoughts jumped quickly through my processor, I turned back to catch a glance at Milo but he was gone from sight.  Hmm...
 
I called Brad to share my little moment with him but he was not available, so I called Alisha.  Have I mentioned before that I'm a verbal processor?  I shared.  We processed.  I was struck by his courage and the innocence of his intrusion into my life.  As an aside, for my single girlfriends, I wondered why most guys don't share such things with us, unabashedly.  As I recounted the moment, waves of emotions took over.  It totally caught me off guard.  We are talking waterfalls.  It seemed so silly and yet so profound that my tears flowed so freely. As we talked about my encounter, Alisha named the moment, "Sacred".  This message of truth spoke deeply to me.  Somehow it wasn't important to know why it had "hit me so" but I knew that it was my job to JUST receive it.  I'm still receiving it.  In the quiet moments, I reflect.  I contemplate.  I wonder.
 
What I learned this week about simple moments of truth:
 
• be willing and open to hear the message
• listen carefully with your heart
• messages of truth can be sent in unlikely packages
• truth comes when you need it
• truth sometimes comes as an interruption from the ordinary
• it's important to simply and humbly receive the truth
• take time to ponder the truth and let it seep into your soul
 
So I'm not sure how this story will sit with you.  It's not easy to capture the essence of a moment like this.  I hope it speaks to you.  I'm trusting there's something in it for you, too.  Live in the truth that beauty abounds within each one of us. 
 
Receiving,
Cindy