Thursday, July 22, 2010

d words vs. r words


So, I’ll try and make this brief since the last couple of contemplations have been quite wordy. GOL (giggle out loud).

This summer there’s been a “war” raging within my mind and soul. It’s taken up quite a bit of space on my mental hard drive. I don’t have the time right now to share all of the details (remember brevity is the goal today) but I will in due time.
I won some significant battles in this war last week.

I want to tell you about the battle of the “D” words vs. the “R” words. At the beginning of last week, the “D” words had taken up camp within my soul. It started with doubt, then found its way to disappointment which led to discouragement, and finally capped itself off with defeat and despair late Monday night. Luckily, the mind trip stopped before destruction came. What led me down those D roads was the noise and clamor of the “enemy” (see footnote) ~ shouting lies at every bump in the road. The clamor was ear-piercing and overpowering. Even though I’ve gotten pretty skilled at recognizing the lies and denouncing them during this battle the lies raged on. With each twist and turn in this maze of D words, the tears welled up. I went to sleep with a heavy heart and a little bit mad at myself for not being able to rise above those silly little lies. I’m here to tell you those silly little lies seemed like huge, scary monsters that wanted to devour all that I had to give. Oh the power of those D words - give them an inch and they take a mile.

Well, here’s where the battle was won. Early Tuesday morning, I intentionally sat down and invited stillness. I retreated to my safe place where truth abides. I got cozy and stayed a while. I let the truth sink into my being...and guess what sprang up? A wellspring of refreshing water that poured over me reviving me and bringing rejuvenation. The cool waters are still flowing a week later - ahhh, the revitalization.

What I learned from this battle:

D words are real and they do have power.
D words will take up residence if I let them.
I don’t like D words ~ doubt, discouragement, destruction, devour, defeat, disappointment, destroy, and despair.
If I don’t fight back, D words will threaten to take control.
Girlfriends can help dethrone D words.
Being still in your safe place can bring the battle with the D words to an end.
Real truth denounces the D words.

R words are good for the soul.
I love R words ~ retreat, refresh, rejuvenate, revive, refuel, and revitalize.
I want R words to reside within me.
R words don’t come easily but when we intentionally allow truth to reside within the confines of our mind, body and soul ~ R words will move in, too.
R words are worth fighting for.

Today’s contemplation is a bit lofty and metaphorical but I hope it resonates. I’ve got some questions for you:

Where do you find your truth?
Where is your safe place?
Do you take to be still?

R words Rule,
Cindy

Footnote = The “enemy” within this context is any thought that is against us and the good we are moving towards.