Tuesday, August 11, 2009

This summer I...

If you know me, you know I'm all about the learning curve - well, actually all about the learning - we could send the steep curve packing as far as I'm concerned.

Growing is vital.  It keeps us alive, literally and figuratively.  Once again, I was on facebook - NO I'm not on it ALL the time - and read a really great status update.  Mi amiga, Allyson, wrote this:

Ok, here's SOME of what I learned this summer: Bright orange vans are great fun, even when no longer so bright. Prayer on a soccer field before Bible school can lead to cool things.  If you jump out of a van in motion you are likely to face plant. (thanks, Tim, for that one.)  I might have a Quaker soul. I should not laugh very much or very hard with ANYTHING in my bladder. I know a lot of brave hearts.

Allyson and Brent are warm and welcoming people.  They run a missions camp in Ensenada, Mexico.  Allyson is the kinda friend I don't get to see often enough but every time we are together we laugh out loud (note her note on what she's learned this summer), we cry (mostly from laughing so hard), and we share from the deep wells of our hearts.  She is one of my most FUN friends. 

I love that she took the time to notice what she learned this summer.  She took the time to mark it down, to set a stake in the ground and then she shared it, "I learned this..."  She is intentional about growing.  She desires it.  I love that lady!

Then, the inevitable came as I read her status, "Oh, what did I learn this summer?  Hmm...I'm thinking I did some learning of my own.  I need to take note, so it gets properly catalogued in my brain and more importantly in my heart."  

I dare you to take some time this week to contemplate what you've learned this summer.  Seasons are a good time to recount, to take note and mark it down.  Be honest with yourself.  I dare you to share it with others.  If you're on fb, I dare you to post what you learned this summer to your status update.  If you're at a party or small gathering this weekend, I dare you to ask the question.  Be prepared with an answer of your own =)   I'm sure it will stimulate conversation and get people to pondering.

Check out my status update later today to find out what I learned or just email me - I'll send you my list.

Still learning,
Cindy