Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yet Another Interruption

I've been thinking about the gems that I'm writing about in my book that I hope to finish this summer.  Right now, I'm committing to you all to have it done by Labor Day.  I'm playing around with the title - "Contemplations of a Less Drama Queen",   "How to Increase Your Less Drama Factor", "Profile of a Less Drama Queen", "Little Gems to Live By...The Life of a Less Drama Queen", "Less Drama, More Freedom"...the list goes on!

My book is about the journey.  It is centered on 5 life gems - communication, boundaries, growing, the power of girlfriends, and living the important life.  I've been sharing some of my thoughts and insights along the way in this weekly truth or dare.  

So today's installment touches on the topic of boundaries.  Boundaries define us. They define what is me and what is not me.  They help us let the good in and keep the bad out.  A boundary shows me where I end and someone else begins, leading me to a sense of ownership.

Knowing what I am to own and take responsibility for gives me freedom. If I know where my "yard" begins and ends, I am free to do with it what I like. Taking responsibility for my life opens up many different options.

So - with that said about boundaries - I read this statistic this morning in the magazine, PINK,  "Interruptions consume 28 percent of the average workday."  Source - Basex.

Interruptions are sometimes welcomed.  Interruptions and distractions are sometimes needed but sometimes they keep us from being effective and getting what we really want.

I dare you to tell the truth:
Where do you need to set up a fence, door, gate, wall to keep the interruptions at bay?  
What can you devote 2 hours of un-interrupted time to in the next week?  Where do you want to curb your interruptions?  Where can you eliminate interruptions?

All good questions to ponder - especially when you are trying to write a book =)