Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Live Free or Die

"Live Free or Die" is New Hampshire's state motto.  I used to live there a long time ago and embraced this motto as my own.  Indeed,  when I turned 40, I declared my forties, my decade of freedom.  So far, I'm living up to it.  My heart longs for each of us to experience freedom - freedom to give, freedom to receive, freedom to be ourselves, freedom to live, freedom to thrive, freedom from fears, freedom to create, financial freedom...the list goes on.  

Patrick Henry (one of our country's forefathers) spoke these famed words on March 23, 1775 to the House of Burgesses (the legislative body of the Virginia colony),  "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Have you heard about a girl named Neda this week?  Her name means "voice" in Farsi.  She was a student heartlessly killed by a sniper on a rooftop in Tehran this past Saturday.  So sad, so tragic.  She had just come from singing lessons - something women in Iran are prohibited from doing in public.  This week, she has become the voice of freedom for those who suffer oppression throughout the world.  Social media has memorialized her:
http://tiny.cc/voiceoffreedom

I dare us to choose to live free as we remember all of those who have gone before us in the name of freedom.   I dare us to release the ties that bind us - that keep us from moving forward.  What's one step you can take this week toward realizing your own freedom?  What thoughts ruminate around in your head that keep you bound?  Is it time to replace those lies with the truth?  The truth will set you free.

I thank Neda for her courage.  I pray for her family and country as they mourn and fight for the freedoms we take for granted every day. 

Striving to live free,
Cindy